Comparing the 1965 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 and the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R involves contrasting two iconic models from different eras. While both are part of the Mustang Shelby lineage, they differ significantly in terms of design, technology, performance, and the automotive landscape of their respective times. Here’s a comparison between the two:
1. Era and Design:
- 1965 Shelby GT350: The 1965 GT350 was based on the first-generation Mustang platform. It had a classic, retro-inspired design with a distinctive fastback body style. It featured subtle modifications like a unique front grille, side scoops, and racing stripes, showcasing its performance-oriented nature for the time.
- 2020 Shelby GT350R: The 2020 GT350R is based on the sixth-generation Mustang platform. It boasts a modern and aggressive design with aerodynamic enhancements, a large front grille, functional hood vents, and a rear spoiler. The overall look is more aggressive and track-focused, reflecting contemporary design trends.
- 1965 Shelby GT350: The original GT350 was powered by a naturally aspirated 4.7-liter V8 engine that produced around 306 horsepower. It was designed to be a high-performance road and track car, with suspension and handling upgrades.
- 2020 Shelby GT350R: The 2020 GT350R is powered by a naturally aspirated 5.2-liter V8 engine known as the “Voodoo” engine. It delivers 526 horsepower and is mated to a six-speed manual transmission. The GT350R features advanced aerodynamics, magnetic ride suspension, and other performance-focused components that make it a potent track machine.
- 1965 Shelby GT350: The technology available in the 1965 GT350 was representative of its time, with basic mechanical components and limited electronic features.
- 2020 Shelby GT350R: The 2020 GT350R benefits from advanced technology, including electronic aids like traction control and various driving modes that allow the driver to tailor the car’s performance characteristics to different conditions.
4. Handling and Dynamics:
- 1965 Shelby GT350: The handling of the 1965 GT350 was enhanced for its time, but it lacked the advanced suspension and chassis technologies found in modern sports cars.
- 2020 Shelby GT350R: The 2020 GT350R’s handling benefits from modern engineering advancements, including a specially tuned suspension, lightweight components, and advanced stability control systems.
5. Rarity and Collectibility:
- 1965 Shelby GT350: The 1965 GT350 is a highly sought-after classic car with historical significance, making it valuable and collectible among enthusiasts and collectors.
- 2020 Shelby GT350R: The 2020 GT350R is a limited-production model, which also contributes to its desirability among modern muscle car enthusiasts.
In summary, the 1965 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 and the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R represent different eras of automotive design and technology. The 1965 GT350 holds a special place in Mustang history as one of the early high-performance variants, while the 2020 GT350R is a contemporary track-focused machine that benefits from decades of technological advancements. Both models are iconic in their own right and appeal to enthusiasts with different preferences and interests.